Counseling Department: Attention Seniors!
The CSin3 years program is now accepting applications for Fall 2019. CSin3 is a 3 year program that leads to a Bachelor's of Science degree in Computer Science with a concentration in Software Engineering. Students take year-round classes and have access to resources at both Hartnell College and Cal State Monterey Bay. For more information check out the CSin3 website or see Ms. Rodriguez for an informational pamphlet.
Attention Seniors and Juniors
- If you are planning to go to a four-year college, you need to sign up for the ACT or SAT reasoning tests. Seniors must test before December. Fee waivers available on a first come first serve. See Ms. Rodriguez in the office if you are interested or have any questions.
- The DAR good citizens Scholarship contest is open to all seniors regardless of citizenship status. The student selected as the school's DAR Good Citizen must have the qualities of dependability (which includes truthfulness and loyalty), service (which includes cooperation and consideration of others), leaderships (which includes personality and the ability to assume responsibility), a patriotism (which includes unselfish interest in family, school, community, and nation). Requirements include an application, 2 letters of recommendation, and an essay. Deadline to sign up is Friday, October 19. If you are interested in applying for this scholarship, see Ms. Rodriguez to pick up an application and sign up.
- If integrity, determination, and courage describe you, you have what it takes to be a Horatio Alger Scholar. Our scholarships reward students who possess the character to succeed in life. To qualify, you must have at least 2.0 GPA and require financial assistance to attend college. Scholarship awards range from $6,000 to $25,000. To learn more and apply visit scholars.horationalger.org, or see Ms. Rodriguez for more information. Deadline to apply is October 25.
Results for September Attendance Challenge
The results are in! The winning class of the September Attendance Challenge is the Junior class with a total of 1192 points! Congratulations Junior class and thank you to all for your participation. Remember that attendance is key to having a successful academic experience in high school, so keep encouraging each other to be on time every day!
For the winning class Ms. Rodriguez will be out during lunch all week so that students can come claim their prize. You will have only this week to do so, please stop by!
To see the exact score of each class and the list of prizes please check out the score board in the Student Union.
If you consider yourself of Oaxacan descent this event may be for you. The Oaxaqueño Youth Encuentro will be having their annual two day gathering. This retreat provides a space for Oaxaqueño youth from across the country to come together to strenghten & reconnect with traditional practices. If you are interested please check your email, an informative message along with the application will be sent out. For further questions please see Ms. Rodriguez.
Attention Seniors don't forget to begin your scholarship search. Remember you can never apply to too many! Please check your email regularly, Ms. Rodriguez will be sending scholarship information as it becomes available.
ETS will be having a fieldtrip to UC Davis Friday, October 19, 2018. Pick up your permission slips in the ETS office and check your email. Deadline is Friday, October 12, 2018.
Students! Yesterday FFA members attended the San Benito County Rabbit Show. We had a lot of success and here are the awards. Katya Hernandez, Maria Dominguez, and Aligha Ramey all received Best of Breed Awards for their rabbits. Viviana Santos received 1st in Nah.vice showmanship and Maria Dominguez received second. Aligha Ramey received first in advance showmanship, Nancy Ortiz received second, Katya Hernandez received 3rd, Lissette Ortiz got fourth, and Sarah Rios received 5th. Congratulations to all of those who participated. We also have 3 out of the five top meat pens going through the Junior Livestock Auction this Saturday. And Aligha Ramey will be participating in Round Robin on Sunday.
24th Annual Snow Queen and King Competition
Students are invited to be part of the 24th Annual Snow Queen and King competition. Meeting will be held October 8th at 7 P.M. Please see Ms. Morales for an application.
UC Santa Cruz Representative
Attention students a representative from UC Santa Cruz will be visiting on October 29th. If you are interested in attending the presentation please sign up with Ms. Rodriguez.
Students, leadership will be hosting lunch time activities during Homecoming week.
Tuesday: Human Ring, Toss & Glass, and Slipper Hunt
Wednesday: How to build a superhero
Thursday: Candy corn pickup
Come and participate for some great prizes!
Next week is Homecoming week and GHS Productions is Proud to Present Lights Cameras Bruins! Dress the part and receive spirit points.
Tuesday is Western Day
Wednesday is Fairy Tale Day
Thursday is Dc vs Marvel Comics Day
Friday is class color with Horror Film Twist
Dress up and get counted the first 10 minutes of lunch. Winners will be announced at the rally.
Winter sports are right around the corner. This includes soccer, basketball, and wrestling. Boys and girls are welcome for all of these. If you have not turned in your athletic packet, you have until October 23 to get your packets turned in to make sure you are cleared for the first day of practice which is October 29. Please remember to turn them in before school or the first 10 minutes of lunch in room 102. The grades from first quarter, which ends Friday, will be used to determine eligibility for the first part of winter sports and the last part of fall sports.
Deporters invernales estan a la vuelta de la esquina. Esto incluye soccer, basketball, y lucha. Hombres y mujeres estan bienvenidos para estos deportes. Si no has entregado tu paquete athletico, tienes hasta el 23 de Octubre para entregarlo y estar listo o lista para las practicas que comienzan el 29 de Octubre. Recuerda de entregar los paquetes antes de clases, oh los primeros 10 minutos de lonche a el salon 102. Los grados de el primer quarto, que termina este viernes, seran usados para determinas si eres elegiblle para jugar.
Blood Drive Announcement
Congratulations, Bruins in the year 2017, Bruins donated 138 units of blood earning us the title of Premier Blood Partners with the American Red Cross. Way to go Bruins! Let's do it again!
GHS has a set a goal of 60 units donated during our November 2nd blood drive. To have a successful drive, we need to meet our goal or exceed our goal. The only way to meet our goal is for you to make an appointment to be a donor. If you would like to help us reach our goal, sign up for an appointment with Aligha Ramey or Joanna Chavez at lunch or after school.
You must be 16 yrs old with parent permission. If you are 17 or older you only need to make an appointment. All people participating in the drive should bring a valid school or state ID with your birthdate.
To speed up your registration process visit RedCrossBlood.org/RapidPass to complete your pre-donation reading and health history questions 24 hours before your appointment.
- There will be a college club meeting on Thursday, Ocotber 4th in room 205 during lunch.
- Attention Students are you interested in running for College Club officer? See Ms. Sanchez Friday, October 5th during lunch for more details.
Circle of Friends Club
Hey Bruins the Circle of Friends Club will be hosting a battle of the artist hight on December 6th if you are interested in submitting art work or want information stop by room 303. If you want to join the club we meet every Thursday, in room 303.
Fresno College Trip
Seniors don't forget Friday, October 5th permissions slips are due! Stop by the GEAR UP office if you have any questions.
Reminder, PSAT is next Wednesday, October 10th. Students participating will be receiving a pass on Tuesday, October 8th.